PADI Instructor Development Course
Utilizing the Updated IDC Course Topics and Training Techniques!
leaders in recreational scuba training!
Complete Your PADI Instructor Training with
The Underwater Connection?
- No minimum enrollment! We don't cancel IDCs due to low enrollment!
- Recreational diving's most comprehensive Instructor Courses.
- Small classes ensure individual attention.
- Convenient weekend and week-long schedules.
- Private IDCs available. You set the schedule.
- Offshore IDCs available.
- All in-water training sites are within 6 miles of our facility.
- Full-time PADI Course Director.
- Instructor-level continuing education available.
- Pre-IDC dives to get you comfortable.
- Pre-IDC and IE counseling sessions- no surprises during your IDC.
- IDC Preparatory Course available- Be ready for the exams.
- We have been a leader in diver education for over 35 years.
- Large selection of rental and training equipment.
- Courses recommended for college credit.
Read what past Instructor Candidates have said about us here
About the PADI Instructor Development Course
PADI Instructor Development Courses (IDCs) prepare candidates to function as PADI
Assistant Instructors and Open Water Scuba Instructors. Candidates build on their
instructor-level dive theory knowledge, role-model watermanship and rescue skills, and
leadership abilities by learning how to teach in confined water, in the classroom and in
open water. During the IDC, instructor candidates gain a complete understanding of
PADI's educational goals and philosophies.
- PADI Divemasters may attend the AI course.
- PADI Divemasters may attend all IDC components and the IE.
- PADI Assistant Instructors may attend the OWSI program and IE.
- Scuba instructors or dive supervisors affiliated with other training organizations may
attend an IDC and IE.
- Scuba instructors affiliated with other training organizations may attend an OWSI
program and IE.
Beginning with online independent study through PADI eLearning or live-delivery
segments, the IDC can be separated into an Assistant Instructor (AI) course and the
Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program. Depending on the need or interest,
training can be planned with breaks to gain more experience, or can be continuous all
the way to instructor certification.
- Learning, Instruction and the PADI System
- General Standards and Procedures Part 1
- Risk Management Part1
- Marketing Diving
- Start Diving
- Teaching PADI Specialty Courses
- Business of Diving
- Keep Diving
- How to Teach the RDP
You can complete the Knowledge Development portion of the course online!
- Course Orientation
- Developing Knowledge Development Presentations
- Teaching in Confined Water
- Conducting Open Water Dives
- General Standards and Procedures & Professional Membership Part 2
- Open Water Diver Course
- Adventures in Diving Program
- Rescue Diver Course
- Divemaster Course
- Risk Management Part 2
Dive Theory Exams are also taken during the IDC, however, if you have successfully completed the Online Dive Theory Course, it can eliminate the need for the exams during the IDC. Click the image below to get started.
1. Dive Leader certification - PADI Divemaster
certification with a recognized recreational diver training organization
who is either:
a. an instructor member in good standing, or
b. a diver with proof of certification in diver supervision and management
including proof of rescue diving certification; 60 logged dives;
documented experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater
2. 18 years old
3. Medical clearance attesting to dive fitness signed by a physician within the
previous 12 months.
4. Certified diver for six months.
5. EFR Primary and Secondary Care course completion (or qualifying
training) within the last 24 months.
6. If not a PADI Divemaster, complete the PADI Divemaster course diver
rescue skills assessment.
7. Submit documentation of qualifying certifications for entry level,
advanced, rescue and leadership level, as necessary.
8. To be certified as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor, the candidate must also be certified as an Emergency First Response Instructor, plus show proof of 100 logged dives
2016 Course Fees
Complete Instructor Development Course (5 days): $1195.00 (assuming IDC eLearning completed, and for 2016 includes Dive Theory Online)
Complete Instructor Development Course live-delivery option (7 days): $1695.00
AI Course alone: $525.00 (assuming online work completed)
OWSI Course alone: $725.00 (assuming online work completed)
AI Course alone: $725.00 (assuming online work NOT completed)
OWSI Course alone: $925.00 (assuming online NOT completed)
These course fees do not include books, materials, PADI application or exam costs (paid directly to PADI at the Exam site), any dive site entrance fees.
2016 PADI Instructor Application and Exam fees:
Instructor Application Fee: $165.00
Instructor Examination Fee: $650.00
Emergency First Response Instructor Course: $450 including all Instructor Materials
Required Materials for the Instructor Development Course
- Current PADI Instructor Manual
- PADI's Guide to Teaching
- PADI Specialty Course Instructor Manual or these specialty course Instructor Guides: Peak Performance Buoyancy, Project AWARE and AWARE-Coral Reef Conservation
- Current PADI Open Water Diver Manual
- Recreational Dive Planner-RDP Table and eRDPml including Instructions for Use booklets
- How to Choose and Use Dive Computers book
- Current Open Water Quizzes and Exam booklet
- Current Adventures in Diving Manual
- Current PADI Rescue Diver Manual
- Current Rescue Diver Final Exams booklet
- Current PADI Divemaster Manual
- Current Divemaster Final Exams booklet
- Aquatic Cue Cards for Open Water Diver, Adventures in Diving, Rescue Diver, Divemaster and Discover Scuba Diving
- Confined Water Lesson Preparation Slate
- Open Water Training Dive Lesson Preparation Slate
- The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
- Diving Knowledge Workbook or eRecord for Dive Theory Online
For more information, or to enroll in our PADI Instructor Development Course or Instructor Specialty Courses, contact Colin Zylka
our PADI Course Director.