Boy Scout Scuba Diving Merit Badge
Welcome to the World of Scuba Diving!
The popularity of scuba diving with the
scouts has grown exponentially over the last several years. Much like scuba, the
overall philosophy of scouting encourages the quest for adventure. It is a life
changing experience that enables young men and women to embrace challenges in a whole
new way. That first breath underwater; the feeling of total weightlessness as you embark into
a foreign world enables you to be part of something so powerful it transforms your life.
Thousands of scouts have delved into the adventure during the jamboree, local camporees,
and high adventure trips. Additionally, with the recent approval of the Scuba Merit Badge
there are now countless opportunities for Boy Scouts to explore the thrill of scuba.
We currently have Scuba Merit Badge counselors at our Delafield and Menomonee Falls stores, and also have sponsored a Venturing Crew (Crew 130) that meets at our Delafield store. Please contact us for more information and to arrange Scuba classes for your Scouts!
Merit Badge Requirements
Do the following:
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while scuba diving, including hypothermia, hyperventilation, squeezes, decompression illness, nitrogen narcosis, motion sickness, fatigue, overexertion, heat reactions, dehydration, injuries by aquatic life, and cuts and scrapes.
- Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person, and explain how to recognize such conditions.
Demonstrate the proper technique for performing CPR using a training device approved by your counselor.
- Before completing items 4-7, earn the Swimming merit badge.
- Discuss the Scuba Diver's Code with your merit badge counselor, and explain the importance of each guideline to a scuba diver's safety.
- Earn an Open Water Diver Certification from a scuba organization recognized by the Boy Scouts of America scuba policy.
- Explain what an ecosystem is, and describe four aquatic ecosystems a diver might experience.
- Find out about three career opportunities in the scuba industry. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.
Download Your Free E-Book
In our free Ebook, you will get more information and details on how to earn the Boy Scouts Scuba Diving Merit Badge, as well as some background on the Scuba Diving Merit Badge. We've also included information and descriptions of other activities and certifications Scouts can earn that coincide with the Scout philosophy.
This E-book is in .pdf form and can be printed and shared with other Troops, Venturing Crews and individual Scouts. Feel free to share with other members of your Scouting organization!